The impetus for the growth of a town on open prairie north of Newton was the construction of buildings for a Mennonite College in 1887. The town simply grew up around the college buildings. Bethel College's first structure, the Administration Building, with its natural limestone exterior, is now a National Historic Landmark at the center of a growing campus and cultural center. North Newton was incorporated in 1938. There is no visible division between Newton and North Newton, however, each city grew up with is own post office, separate postal zip code, its own city government and law enforcement agencies. North Newton's original post office was located on the lower level of Bethel College's Administration Building. Today businesses and residences are next to each other at the boarder of the two towns.
North Newton provides developments with a wide range of housing possibilities including Kidron-Bethel which has condos, apartments, assisted living and nursing care opportunities. Campus Woods subdivision has a good quantity of lots that continue to allow for custom built homes. North Newton is just south of the Highway 15 exit off of Interstate 135 and therefore, offers rapid access for trips south to Wichita or north to McPherson and Salina, KS.